Friday, July 29, 2005

Things I miss from childhood

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?"
-- Pink Floyd, The Wall

While I have no idea what the heck a "meme" is, I'll honor the tag put upon me by Jeri to follow in her footsteps (or vootshteps if you're in a Mel Brooks sort of mood.) I'm even keeping with the Pink Floyd quotes, though mine is not quite as deep or thought provoking as hers.

1) Having summers off; yes, having a paying job that lets me do pretty much what I want (within reason) is a good thing, but having two and a half months of being able to just goof off was pretty awesome. There were trips to Hershey Park, the Jersey shore, or up to visit my dad's freiends on their farm in lower central New York state.
2) Bike trips to everywhere; like Rob S., I remember fondly riding my bike to a lot of different places with friends. A bike was almost like a car (before we knew how much better in some aspects having a car was), and you didn't even have to pay for gas!
3) Sleepovers; not "slumber parties," because those were for girls! Going over to a friend's house, even if it was just two houses down was kinda cool.
4) Legos; hell, you had an excuse to play with them at that age, and you really had to be creative to make some of the stuff because these specialized sets were only just starting to emerge back then
5) Visiting with family, especially cousins; I now realize just how much I took that for granted, and how lucky we were to have parents that got along with their siblings and wanted us to have relationships with our extended family. On top of that, our extended family wasn't really more than an hour and a half to two hours away back then. One of the reasons Christine and I want to settle close to my parents and other family is so our son will have that same chance.

I think I'll tag Amy for this next!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home